Leo Mikityanskiy is an experienced estate planning, family law, and intellectual property attorney, admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. His law practice is focused on estate planning and administration, family law, intellectual property, and litigation.
In over fifteen years of practicing law, Leo has developed a unique and individualized approach for each of his client’s needs, providing skilled and insightful counseling. Leo has years of experience working in top global law firms, but he never forgets that the reason why he got into the practice of law is to help people find the best solution to their problems. He approaches each client with attention, patience, and dedication, and his paramount question is always:
paramount question is always:
“What’s best for the client?”L. Mikityanskiy
Leo received his Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the New York Polytechnic University (now NYU Tandon School of Engineering). After spending five years as an engineering consultant, he pursued a law degree from Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. Upon graduation, he worked for a boutique law firm and later for a Top 25 Am Law/Global 100 general services law firm.
After working in Big Law for several years, Leo opened his own successful law practice with offices in Brooklyn, New York, and Feasterville, Pennsylvania. In the years of practice, he made it his goal to help his clients navigate the complex world of Estate Planning. Whether it is helping to create an Estate Plan or to navigate the complicated rules of Medicaid Planning, Business Succession Planning, or Estate Administration, Leo is always ready to help and educate his clients in the complex legal maze. His dedication and professionalism are admired by his clients.
Our other practice areas are Family Law, including divorces, spousal and child support, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, custody and visitation rights, and property settlement agreements. Leo always fights for his clients’ rights to get them the best possible outcome. “He is a committed and dedicated advocate” as his clients have said about him.
Leo’s extensive engineering background and top 100 Law Firm experience have contributed immensely to his Patent and Trademark work. With many patents and trademarks received, as well as patent and trademark applications pending, Leo is extremely diligent and pays great attention to details in his patent work.
Leo is an experienced litigator and has fought for his clients’ rights in the most difficult business and matrimonial litigation battles. Leo will fight to protect your rights and to get the best possible outcome for you.
MY PRACTICE AREAS
Represented a large manufacturer of bar code scanners in alleged patent infringement and trade secret litigation; represented a major brand name pharmaceutical company against a generic drug manufacturer; represented a manufacturer of electronic equipment for cleaning semiconductor wafers in patent infringement litigation; represented a major audio content provider in patent litigation; represented a manufacturer of semiconductors and transistors and a manufacturer of contact lenses.
Patent due diligence
- New York State
- The State of New Jersey
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
Articles And Publications
I have written a number of articles regarding patent prosecution and litigation, describing legal developments in the areas of electronics, software, medical equipment and devices, and pharmaceutical and eyewear products. I have also written an article on Russian/American litigation that was published by the Eastern Europe Reporter of The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
Leonid G. Mikityanskiy, John R. Fuisz and Michael Socarras, Resolution of Disputes in the U.S. Federal Courts by Russian and CIS Litigants, BNA’s Eastern Europe Reporter (May 2009).
Obviousness: Combination of Two Embodiments in a Single Reference Renders Claims Obvious, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 12, No. 2, February 2009.
Claim Construction: Federal Circuit Reinterprets Claims Based on Intrinsic Evidence, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 11, No. 9, September 2008.
Inequitable Conduct: Intent to Deceive Must be Shown by Clear and Convincing Evidence, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 11, No. 8, August 2008.
Inequitable Conduct: No Inequitable Conduct When Inferences Can Be Drawn Against such Finding, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 11, No. 7, July 2008.
Damages: Damages for Post-Infringement-Verdict Sales Are Affected by the Stay of Injunction, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 11, No. 3, March 2008.
Claim Construction: Broad Claim Scope Survives Despite Single Embodiment Disclosure, McDermott IP Update, Vol. 10, No. 7, July 2007.
- Represented litigants in high-profile and High Net Worth Divorces in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, obtaining favorable equitable distribution, spousal support and child support, including non-traditional negotiated settlement packages of disputed issues.
- Developed asset protection and wealth preservation plans for high-net-worth individuals, including business owners, medical professionals, and real estate investors. Established complex estate plans for high-net-worth individuals and families with over $10 million in assets.
- Provided support in corporate formation and governance, business succession planning, and sales/transfers of businesses, including medical practices, real estate investment, food distribution, car services/transportation, construction, and home care businesses.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended personal injury lawsuits, automobile accidents and slip-and-falls, including negotiating nominal settlements of multi-million dollar claims, litigation and dismissal with prejudice of a slip-and-fall lawsuit with major injuries, and obtaining hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensations and settlements for automobile accident injuries.
- Litigated commercial lawsuits by a furniture business and a real estate business to favorable outcomes, litigated lawsuits concerning ownership of real property, litigated disputes between business partners, and negotiated disputes and contractual disputes between businesses.
- Litigated and negotiated large estate claims, including Will contests, claims against estates, elective share claims, and Estate Recovery claims by the New York Department of Social Services/Human Resources Administration.
- Provided legal counseling in administration of complicated estates (probate and administration proceedings), including contested estates, lost or defective Wills, beneficiaries abroad, beneficiaries that could not be located, and estates with disabled beneficiaries.
- Advised fiduciaries of Trusts and Special Needs Trusts on reporting, annual accounting, and compliance with the federal and state laws, DSS/HRA rules and regulations, including trusts with assets valued at over several million dollars.
- Successfully defended DSS/HRA Medicaid fraud allegations and Social Security Administration SSI investigations, audits and adverse decisions, and obtained reinstatement of benefits.
- Represented a not-for-profit Religious Corporation with over 30 churches in a real estate development plan and corporate reorganization plan, as well as in multiple disputes with New York City, advising during construction projects and commercial litigation.
- Represented two large not-for-profit Religious Corporations in a foreclosure litigation with over $5 million in dispute.
- Represented a large not-for-profit Religious Corporation in a litigation over church governance and control over church property, valued at almost $3 million.
Schedule A Consultation
Fill out the form below to schedule a confidential initial consultation.